OPA Joins the Global #GivingTuesday Movement Pledges Benefit the Foundation for Psychology in Ohio
Saturday, November 18, 2017
The Foundation for Psychology in Ohio, the charitable 501(c)3 arm of OPA, has joined #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving that harnesses the collective power of individuals, communities and organizations to encourage philanthropy and to celebrate generosity worldwide. Gifts, grants, contributions and bequests to the Foundation are tax deductible.
The mission of OPA is to advance the creation, communication and application of psychological knowledge to benefit society and to improve people’s lives in Ohio. The Foundation helps OPA fulfill its mission through philanthropic giving and programs that support and advance its causes such as:
- Disseminating information regarding psychology and behavioral health to the general public and to mental health professionals;
- Granting scholarships in psychology to worthy students and to support the Foundation’s commitment to diversity;
- Developing and presenting educational or scientific exhibits in psychology for the benefit of the general public;
- Developing or sponsoring, or both, of panels, workshops, seminars, and other educational activities in psychology for the benefit of psychologists, other mental health professionals, and the general public;
- Granting awards, stipends or other forms of recognition to teachers or researchers in psychology at secondary schools or institutions of higher education on the bases of innovative or meritorious achievement;
- Preparing and distributing educational pamphlets and brochures that advance the public’s understanding of behavioral and mental health.
- Granting prizes, awards, stipends and other forms of recognition for research in issues relating to multiculturalism.
- Giving annually cash prizes to high school students for outstanding Behavioral Health projects at the State Science Fair.
Occurring this year on November 28, #GivingTuesday is held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday to kick off the holiday giving season and inspire people to collaborate in improving their local communities and to give back in impact ways to the charities and causes they support.
92Y − a cultural center in New York City that, since 1874, has been bringing people together around its core values of community service and giving back − conceptualized #GivingTuesday as a new way of linking individuals and causes to strengthen communities and encourage giving. In 2016, the fifth year of #GivingTuesday, millions of people in 98 countries came together to give back and support the causes they believe in. Over $177 million was raised online to benefit a tremendously broad range of organizations, and much more was given in volunteer hours, donations of food and clothing, and acts of kindness.
Those who are interested in joining OPA’s #GivingTuesday initiative should click here. For more details about the #GivingTuesday movement, visit the #GivingTuesday website (www.givingtuesday.org), Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GivingTuesday) or follow @GivingTues and the #GivingTuesday hashtag on social media.
About Ohio Psychological Association
The Ohio Psychological Association, in Columbus, Ohio, is membership organization of approximately 1,500 Ohio psychologists. Its mission is to advance psychology as a science, as a profession and as a means of promoting human welfare. For more information or for a psychologist referral, visit www.ohpsych.org.
#GivingTuesday is a global giving movement that has been built by individuals, families, organizations, businesses and communities in all 50 states and in countries around the world. This year, #GivingTuesday falls on November 28. #GivingTuesday harnesses the collective power of a unique blend of partners to transform how people think about, talk about, and participate in the giving season. It inspires people to take collective action to improve their communities, give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they believe in, and help create a better world. #GivingTuesday demonstrates how every act of generosity counts, and that they mean even more when we give together.